2008-10-15

Nissin "Chow Mein with Shrimp"

Brand: Nissin
Flavour: Chow Mein with Shrimp
Format: plastic tray
Packets: three
Identifiables: noodle brick, soup base, flavour powder, dried shrimp and pimiento
Sodium: 1.44 grams

Look around, noodles done now
In the bowl is a crazy taste of ramen

(apologies to Paul Simon)

Mini-review here, no pictures, just a quick ramen blab. I saw that these Nissin bowls were on sale at the local QFC, so I bought one of each available flavour. Today, I decided I didn't have an hour to spend on a full review, so I grabbed one and prepared. My notes:

1. Oh, look, the icons next to the instructions tell you exactly how to prepare it. If I'm ever too drunk to read, I can still make the stuff!

2. There's a shrimp packet. That's awesome.

3. In my haste, I managed to tear the lid off in such a way that a bit of the cellophane inner liner ended up in the food. Easily removed, but a note of caution.

4. I can't tell what flavour this is, but it's decent, if a bit more salty than I'd like. It's closer to Italian than anything else, which really isn't what I expected from something labelled "Chow Mein". It didn't move me like the teriyaki beef, but it's a neat change of pace from typical Oriental-themed fare.

5. It was one-and-a-quarter U.S. dollars. Not precisely college-staple-level cheap, but cheaper than some of the import bowls I've had. If they eschewed some of the fancier aspects of the packaging, I'll bet they could drop the price significantly and make a killing.

All right, so there's a Chicken and a Thai Peanut to look forward to later on. (In time-time-time, see what's become of me!)

Numbers: packaging 4, preparation 4, heat 1, flavour 3, overall 4
Music: The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter (hey, I like the cover)

1 comment:

PatGund@gmail.com said...

Those are pretty good actually. I keep a stash of them at work for the days I'm too busy or broke to leave my desk :-)

Oh, the verification word is "bkeet"