2008-10-10

Ottogi "Ramyon Bokki"

Brand: Ottogi
Flavour: Ramyon Bokki
Format: cardboard bowl
Packets: two
Identifiables: noodle disc, veggie bits, soup base
Sodium: (amount of sodium in grams, not milligrams)

I can't seem to face up to the facts
I'm brave and hungry and I can't relax
I can't sleep 'cause my mouth's on fire
Don't judge me, noodles are my desire

(Apologies to Talking Heads)

This'll be a short one, friends, 'cause there's not a whole lot to tell. It's a pretty standard bowl with a slightly sub-standard lid (it tore as I tried to open it, but in its defence, it also has to be easily punctured by chopsticks – keep reading) and two Korean-labelled packets inside, one of dried veggie bits (it has a spiraly thing in it, so it must be good!) and one of soup base. The noodles are dead average for ramen, and the cooking directions are nothing special: add boiling water, wait four minutes. So I did.

That's when things diverged slightly. The instructions indicated an area on the lid to be poked open (the markers are conveniently chopstick-sized) such that the noodles could be drained. I did so, carefully, nearly scalding myself despite that caution. This sort of thing is always tricky. Then I added the barbecue-sauce-like soup base. All of it. When something says, "Adjust amount to taste," I just do what any good American would do and add the entirety of said ingredient and plan to sue if things don't turn out well.

They turned out well. The resulting sauce tasted more like somewhat sweet kimchi than anything. In fact, it actually reminded me more of kimchi than any ramen I've had thus far labelled "kimchi flavour" so I'd call that a win. It's pretty darn spicy – not intolerably so for me, but it might be for most people I know – so it's a high four, but a four nonetheless. Darn good showing for Ottogi!

I hate to say it, but if I've made any error with Batch Two: Revenge of the Noodle, it's that so far they've all been pretty good. Not much revenge so far, eh?

Spicy Ramen
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Hot hot hot hot, hot hot hot hot hot hot, better
run run run run run run run away


Numbers: packaging 2, preparation 2, heat 4, flavour 5, overall 4
Music: Talking Heads - Rock Band 2 (X360) - Psycho Killer

2 comments:

cjcdeleon said...

hi thanks for your post, I just tried this one, I almost made a mistake of putting everything with the hot h20! yep this one's a good noodles meal!

Hinata Hyuuga said...

hi! this might sound totally idiotic but, should i put the dried veggies in the water or after i drained it? thanks! :)